18 July 2015

The Clangers in Clay: Clangers lettering


Over the course of July I'm showing you all the techniques I used to make my little Clangers scene from clay. Today I'm adding the Clangers lettering.

Please remember that this is an ornament for nostalgic adults or older children - it's not a toy as it has many small and breakable parts. If you did want to make it for a young child's room, I'd recommend gluing the pieces together and mounting the scene in a box frame which could hang on the wall.

All you'll need is:
  • Gold clay (e.g Fimo or Sculpey)
  • A clear plastic wallet
  • Permanent marker
  • Craft knife
Useful but not essential:
  • A roller
  • Gold wax
1. Draw or trace the Clangers lettering onto a clear plastic wallet using a permanent marker.

2. Roll out gold clay to cover this.


3. Turn over and go round the letters with a ball tool or ball point pen.


4. Cut out the letters with a craft knife.

5. Smooth over the edges with your fingers or any other clay smoothing tool of your choice.

6. Bake. If you like you can add some gold wax for added shine.

Now that I've made the logo, I'm quite tempted to do a bit of stop-motion animation with the characters and items I've made, and I could use the logo in the opening titles!


Clangers' planet
Tiny Clanger
Music cloud
Metal leaves
Soup Dragon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...