11 July 2015

The Clangers in Clay: Music cloud

Here's another part of my series about how to make all sorts of Clangers-related items using polymer clay! Today's project is a cloud full of musical notes (in the first episode of the new series they blew up into the cloud from the music trees).
Over the course of July I'm showing you all the techniques I used to make my Clangers scene. I started last week with the Clangers' planet, and continued earlier this week with Tiny Clanger. Please remember that this is an ornament for nostalgic adults or older children - it's not a toy as it has many small and breakable parts. If you did want to make it for a young child's room, I'd recommend gluing the pieces together and mounting the scene in a box frame which could hang on the wall.
To make the cloud, you'll need:
  • Cotton wool or stuffing material
  • Thread
  • Beads
  • Glue
  • Black clay (e.g Fimo or Sculpey)
Here's what to do!
1. Pull off a piece of cotton wool or soft toy stuffing in a rough cloud shape.

2. Thread some clear nylon thread through the middle of the cloud, and tie a knot high above the cloud - this is what the cloud will hang from.
3. Place some clear drop-shaped beads on earring wires, and bend the tops into loops.
4. Using another length of thread, attach these to the cloud.

5. Roll out some black clay into a long thin snake. Cut short lengths of this, flatten them, and bend one end over.
6. Make some small balls of clay and squash these onto the end of each flattened piece.

7. Bake the notes.

8. Glue the notes to the cloud.

You can hang the cloud from a hook on the wall. I used a clip to attach mine to the wooden backdrop I'm using for photographing my Clangers scene.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...