15 February 2020

2019 books

I haven’t yet shared my list of the books I read last year, so here it is. I read slightly less than I had in other years, especially towards the end of the year. But I’ve been making up for that since the new year started! 

I read books mostly by women, with, I think, 8 out of 48 being by men. I read books by a couple of local authors, Val McDermid and Jenny Colgan, a couple of fascinating books about algorithms by Hannah Fry and Cathy O’Neil, and some books in French, most of which were graphic novels. 

I read some series, or bits of them, including Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan, some Tony Hill/Carol Jordan books by Val McDermid, some of the Brunetti books by Donna Leon, the Rosie Hopkins books by Jenny Colgan, and started a reread of the Rei Shimura books by Sujata Massey. 

My favourite factual books this year were Joyful, which was really inspiring, and Invisible Women which I think everyone should read. In terms of fiction I most enjoyed the Val McDermid and Sujata Massey books, and I’m planning to read more of theirs this year.

This was also the year that I moved away from reading so much on my Kindle - most of the books were paper books. That's continued into this year.
  1. The Wild Remedy - Emma Mitchell
  2. Joyful - Ingrid Fetell Lee
  3. My Brilliant Friend - Elena Ferrante
  4. The Prodigal Tongue - Lynne Murphy
  5. Invisible Women - Caroline Criado Perez
  6. Crazy Rich Asians - Kevin Kwan
  7. Hello World - Hannah Fry
  8. The Secret Lives of Colour - Kassia St Clair
  9. The Curated Closet - Anuschka Rees
  10. Weapons of Math Destruction - Cathy O'Neil
  11. Gossip from the Forest - Sara Maitland
  12. China Rich Girlfriend - Kevin Kwan
  13. Rich People Problems - Kevin Kwan
  14. Tell Me of a Girl - L H Johnson
  15. Fever of the Bone - Val McDermid
  16. The Retribution - Val McDermid
  17. La Différence Invisible - Mademoiselle Caroline et Julie Dachez
  18. Cross and Burn - Val McDermid
  19. Splinter the Silence - Val McDermid
  20. Insidious Intent - Val McDermid
  21. Daisy Jones & the Six - Taylor Jenkins Reid
  22. All Systems Red - Martha Wells
  23. How to Live Plastic Free - Marine Conservation Society
  24. Short Stories in French - Olly Richards and Richard Simcott
  25. Indian Takeaway - Hardeep Singh Kohli
  26. Écumes - Ingrid Chabbert et Carole Maurel
  27. Love For Imperfect Things - Haemin Sunim
  28. Record of a Spaceborn Few - Becky Chambers
  29. Meet Me at the Cupcake Café - Jenny Colgan
  30. A Noble Radiance - Donna Leon
  31. Fatal Remedies - Donna Leon
  32. Friends in High Places - Donna Leon
  33. A Sea of Troubles - Donna Leon
  34. No One is Too Small to Make a Difference - Greta Thunberg
  35. Wilful Behaviour - Donna Leon
  36. Because Internet - Gretchen McCulloch
  37. The Girl on the Train - Paula Hawkins
  38. The Bellwether Revivals - Benjamin Wood
  39. The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
  40. The Salaryman's Wife - Sujata Massey
  41. Zen Attitude - Sujata Massey
  42. The Flower Master - Sujata Massey
  43. The Distant Echo - Val McDermid
  44. The Floating Girl - Sujata Massey
  45. War of the Worlds - H G Wells
  46. A Darker Domain - Val McDermid
  47. Christmas at Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop - Jenny Colgan
  48. The Christmas Surprise - Jenny Colgan

5 comments:

Nicholson said...

Very useful post. This is my first time visit here and its nice, Keep it up

Giovanni said...

Glad that you shared this helpful info with us. Many thanks, I support you!

Rebeccah said...

I think we all wish to thank so many good articles you provide here, thanks for sharing.

Kenneth said...

I am waiting for your next valuable post. Keep on sharing many us support you

Stevenson said...

I have read this article; it is very informative and helpful for me. Great job you did

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...