04 September 2018

Union Canal walk


One of the places I wanted to explore this summer was the Union Canal in Edinburgh, but I wasn't sure which part to look at. I knew there was a boathouse that I'd like to photograph but wasn't sure of its exact location.

Then I had the great idea that I could walk the whole 5 miles or so from Hermiston to Fountainbridge! This was easy because I just had to get off the train at Haymarket and get the same bus that I've taken hundreds of times to Heriot-Watt, and get off at the park and ride. Then it was just a case of crossing the road, walking through Hermiston village, and down to the canal.

I'm really glad I did it in this direction, as the canal is not boring as such but has more interesting features the closer you get to the end in Fountainbridge. There are lots of signs along the way so you can see how far you've gone and how far you still have to go. And signs with interesting information about this history and science of the canal.

Along the way I saw all sorts of interesting things: sculptures, parks, modernist architecture, swans, ducks, boathouses, lovely gardens, giant hogweed, boats, and much more. There were all sorts of people making use of the path: walkers, dog-walkers, cyclists, runners, photographers, etc.

Two days later a friend of mine posted photos of her walk in the opposite direction - it would have been really funny if we'd gone on the same day and met each other!







No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...