13 June 2015

Book review: Love at First Stitch

One of the challenges I set for myself this year was to try a bit of dressmaking. My first attempt, from a magazine pattern, gave me confidence, so I decided to go ahead and buy this book, Love at First Stitch, by Tilly Walnes, which I'd heard great things about.

The book is every bit as good as I'd hoped it would be. The clothes all will fit in well with my style, and I can't wait to get on with making each and every one of them! Tilly doesn't assume any previous knowledge, but her tone is chatty and not at all patronising. She takes you through everything step by step, and as you work your way through the different patterns you learn lots of skills. And there are variations on all the patterns too. The patterns are all included in a pocket at the back of the book, at full size, so there's no fiddling about with photocopiers and sticky tape!
I've also been browsing her Pinterest boards, and the great thing is that this allows you to see what other people have made from the patterns, which helps to give ideas on what fabric you'd like to use. I have already bought fabric to make one of the dresses, and I'm looking through my stash of fabric (mainly old duvet covers!) to see what I already have that I can use.

I've already made the Brigitte scarf, which is the first project in the book, to match the top I'd made from a magazine pattern. I hope to get started on some of the other patterns this summer, and I definitely want to make one of the dresses before the end of the year!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...