15 March 2015

Book review: Horrorstör

Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix was a fun little read, about the workers in a furniture store who stay behind after hours to investigate some strange goings-on. I'm not a big reader of horror stories, but this one was not too gory, and I enjoyed reading it.

The setting of the book was easy to visualise, because it was set in a very Ikea-like environment. So at each twist and turn of the plot I could picture exactly what the setting looked like.

The really unusual thing about the book, though, is its design, and this is why I bought it as a paperback rather than a Kindle book. The book looks almost exactly like an Ikea catalogue. I thought that this would just be the cover design, but in fact it is carried through the whole book, with furniture illustrations relating to the plot at the start of each chapter. Some of these were of items of furniture I wished existed, and others of items I'm glad don't!

The book was a really fun quick read, and I hope that other book designers will take heed of its success and come out with other innovative designs.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...