11 November 2019

Amélie-ish movie suggestions


Because I've loved Amélie since it first came out, I've always sought out other films that are similar in some way. In fact, I have a whole section in my movies notebook devoted to this subject! Here are some ideas if you liked Amélie and are looking for something to watch!

For a cute Amélie-ish character (in looks or actions):
This Beautiful Fantastic
Chungking Express
I'm a Cyborg but it's OK
Air Doll
Orchestra Seats

I really love the colour scheme of Amélie, and these are films that remind me of that:
In the Mood for Love (and 2046)
Three Colours Red
Suzhou River

Jean-Pierre Jeunet's films all have a similar dreamy look to them, so you may enjoy these:
A Very Long Engagement (which also has Audrey Tautou in it)
Micmacs
Delicatessen

If it's Audrey Tautou you like, these are some of the other films I've enjoyed with her in:
Happenstance
God is Great and I'm Not
Priceless

When Amélie came out, I immediately thought that there was an Audrey Hepburn look to Audrey Tautou. Here are my favourite Audrey Hepburn films:
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Sabrina Fair
Roman Holiday
Charade
How to Steal a Million

If it's films with a French feel you are looking for, try:
Chocolat
Before Sunset (but watch Before Sunrise first!)

Other visually stunning and very quirky films:
The Science of Sleep
Love Me if You Dare
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Princess & The Warrior
Run Lola Run

Finally, the most Amélie-ish film that isn't Amélie! There are so many elements of this film that remind me of Amélie:
La Double Vie de Veronique



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...