07 February 2019

Toulouse-Lautrec and the Art of Celebrity

I really enjoyed this exhibition that was held in Edinburgh recently. It featured the work of not just Toulouse-Lautrec, but also other artists who were working in a similar style at the same time to create posters.
When I reached the gallery and was getting ready to draw in my sketchbook, I discovered that the lead had broken off my pencil so I had to draw in pen with no outline! This was a real challenge to me, and explains why some of my drawings are a bit off (especially the cat!).
I loved that the gift shop had lenticular postcards of a couple of the designs - these are the postcards that flicker as you move them to suggest movement or depth. I don't come across these often and only had one in my collection already!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...