22 August 2018

Storing and organising postcards


When I started becoming interested in collecting postcards again, I knew I needed to get them organised, and the collection had outgrown the boxes it was in. This was a good excuse to get my DVD collection organised first, and repurpose some of the DVD boxes which were a perfect size for all but the biggest postcards.
I separated the postcards into two boxes, one for places and the other for everything else. I then set about making some dividers from white card. It turned out that I needed a lot more of these dividers than I'd thought, so that I could categorise the postcards properly.
In the "places" box, I sorted the postcards into maps, Fife, Edinburgh, Lochmaben (where we used to go on holiday), the rest of Scotland, England, Wales, Italy, the rest of Europe, Asia, and the rest of the world.
In the other box, there are too many categories to list, but they include famous artists, cats, poetry, degree shows, Charles Rennie Mackintosh, film & TV, and much more! It's really difficult to decide where some postcards should go that fit more than one category!
The boxes are not full yet, so there's room to expand my collection, and I can use more of the DVD boxes when these ones do fill up.

I do still keep my Royal Mail stamp postcards in a separate box. For many years I would go down to the post office on the day these were released, and buy them. But I got rid of a lot of them eventually and just kept my favourites. Now I just buy them if I particularly like the stamps.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...