18 June 2018

Glasgow School of Art


Just a few weeks ago I was watching a documentary about Charles Rennie Mackintosh with my parents, which had been made to celebrate the 150th anniversary of his birth, and I covered my eyes at the images of the 2014 fire at Glasgow School of Art. A few days later my blog was mentioned as "further reading" about his Japanese symbolism for those attending a talk at a library in Kansas City, Missouri.

Then, a week after that, I looked at Twitter first thing in the morning and wondered why someone was mentioning the fire that had happened four years ago. But it wasn't that fire, it was another, much more devastating one.

I was so saddened by the previous fire that I did a whole month of craft projects inspired by Charles Rennie Mackintosh, as my own way of dealing with how I felt about it. If you'd like to see these and more, click here.

There is a major exhibition of Mackintosh's work at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, which I was planning to visit anyway this summer, so I think I will move that visit forward and go as soon as I can.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...