04 June 2015

Spotty top and Brigitte scarf

One of my crafty aims for this year was to try a bit of dressmaking, so when Mum got a sewing magazine with a pattern for this top in it, I decided to give it a try!

I haven't really sewn much clothing before. I remember attempting a turquoise cord skirt and top with satin bias binding, from a magazine pattern back in the 1980s, and, while this outfit did get made, I think Mum probably did more of the sewing than I did! I will have to try to find the photos of me wearing this outfit! I've made some clothing for my Blythe dolls, but the only other garment I've made was a pencil skirt a couple of years ago, made from an old curtain, but I didn't use a pattern for making it.
I made the top from some pieces of fabric and interfacing that I already had, so it didn't really cost me anything (other than my time!). It was a bit of a challenge working out some parts of the sewing pattern for the top. The first challenge was putting the collar on the right way up! I also needed to do understitching around the collar, which I couldn't really visualise until I looked at a video online.

I'm not sure how much I will wear it as it is less fitted to my shape than I'd usually wear. I think it would maybe have worked better in a floatier fabric. But I am absolutely delighted to have sewn a human-sized garment from a pattern, and now I can't wait to do more! I have already bought Love at First Stitch by Tilly Walnes, and I want to make everything in the book! As you will see in these photos, I have already started by making the Brigitte scarf to match my top.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...