27 June 2015

Falkland Palace Rob Roy weekend

Sunny Sundays are my favourite time to visit nearby Falkland, so earlier this month when I heard that there was an interesting event happening at Falkland Palace, and the weather was lovely, I had to head up there!
The event was the Rob Roy Jacobite weekend, marking 300 years since a raid on the palace in 1715. This was the first time I'd ever been to a re-enactment event, and it was a lot of fun! I love photographing people, especially when they are wearing interesting clothing or costumes, so this was the perfect event for me!
I paid for a garden ticket, so I was able to visit the Redcoat camp which was set up at the orchard, but not the Jacobite camps which were inside the palace. I spent some time looking around and taking photos, then I headed to the Keeper's Lawn where there was a skirmish timetabled for 1pm, so that I could find myself a good spot.

The skirmish was a lot of fun to watch and photograph, with lots of bangs and smoke from the guns! Afterwards they gave a talk about the weapons and clothing which was really interesting too!
It was interesting to talk to the people involved in the re-enactment, as they were all very knowledgeable and passionate about history. I also met some other keen photographers.
I continued to explore the gardens for a while afterwards (they were looking beautiful as always), but decided not to stay for the later skirmish at 4pm. I had a great time, and I'm really glad I went!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...