11 February 2015

Alpine bedroom roombox


Can you guess what I made this roombox from? It was actually one of those little weather houses, with the man and the woman who go in and out. I found it at a car boot sale for next to nothing, and it was no longer in working order, so I didn't feel so bad about stripping out the innards and making it into this little bedroom scene.

The room is in about 1/24 scale, and is based on the cubicles in the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer. In one of the books, A Genius at the Chalet School this description of a cubicle appears:

"They were curtained off by curtains of white, cornflower-besprayed cretonne... It really was very pretty, for the cretonne was reversible... The little bed with its fat plumeau had a counterpane of the rich cornflower blue over it and at the side of the bed was a washable rug with a cornflower design. A kind of table-bureau faced the bed and in the opposite corner was a wicker chair with cushions."
I used white paint to highlight along the edge of the chalet roof, the front of the roof, and all the interior walls. At each side I glued a gathered piece of fabric as a curtain.
I built the bed with a small cardboard jewellery box, painting it white and adding kebab skewers as legs and a headboard made from mount-board. I used small scraps of blue and white fabric to make the bedding.
The chair was made from plastic canvas, and the rug was made from fine embroidery canvas. I embroidered a flower on the rug, and added a tiny cushion to the chair, made from a small piece of fabric and a bead.
The little bureau was built up from mount-board painted white. I added fake drawer and cupboard fronts, to each of which I glued a bead as a handle. On top I put a tiny piece of plastic mirror, a tiny book that I made by shrinking a design using photo editing software, and some teeny shells.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is beautiful! I have a bit of trouble picturing things, so even though I've been reading the Chalet School novels for a while now and am a bit obsessed with them, I've been wondering about what the cubicles might really have looked like. This is very helpful as well as, again, quite lovely. Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...