09 July 2014

Silver Charles Rennie Mackintosh jewellery


About 15 years ago I took a night class in jewellery making at the local college. We started off by making simple copper pendants based on our initials, but after that we could choose our own designs. I was really interested in Charles Rennie Mackintosh's designs at the time, so I decided to make some pieces based on his work.

The pendant and bracelet are made from the same basic element - a square with a Glasgow rose design pierced in it. In the pendant it was layered on top of a plain square then enamel was applied in the holes, and in the bracelet it alternates with a simple pattern of 9 squares. The bracelet was the most complicated item that I made on the course. The little pieces of tube that form the hinges were very fiddly to work with. It has a safety chain and it fastens with a pin based on one of Charles Rennie Mackintosh's leaf designs.

I've started wearing the ring and pendant quite a lot again in the last few weeks, but my wrists must have got a little less skinny, as the bracelet is a little tight!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...