24 May 2014

Tutorial: Handwash labels

When you buy some pretty matching containers for the handwash and hand lotion in your bathroom, there's only one problem ... remembering which is which! That's why I needed some pretty labels for mine. I started out by making some out of card, but I really needed something a bit more hard wearing since they would be getting splashed with water quite often. I decided to make some simple stamped labels from polymer clay.

If you'd like to make your own, here's what you'll need:

Polymer clay (you could use any brand or colour of clay, I used a pearl coloured Premo clay)
Something to roll the clay with (you could use a jam jar)
Something to cut the clay with (I've shown the tool I use but you could use a craft knife)
A tile to bake the clay on (I also use this to roll the clay out on and work on it)
Rubber alphabet stamps (you can pick these up for a few pounds)
Something to make a hole with (an old pen will do)
Acrylic paint


1. Roll out the clay into a smooth layer about a quarter of a centimetre thick. I put paper on top of the clay when I'm rolling it, so it doesn't pick up dirt from the roller
2. Cut the clay into rectangles of the required size

3. Use small rubber stamps to add the lettering to the clay. Don't press too hard, or you will get a square outline around the letter.
4. Make a hole at the top of each label.
5. Bake the clay according to the manufacturer's instructions.

6. After allowing the clay to cool, use acrylic paint to decorate it. I rubbed gold paint on unevenly with my finger to give an aged effect.
7. Cut some pretty yarn to hang the labels from, and attach them to the containers.

1 comment:

onel said...

What a pretty way to make the tags! I love buying matching containers too! Love the aged effect on them too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...