23 December 2013

Kyoto day 2



Sunday 17th November

After a good night's sleep and an amazing Japanese buffet breakfast, I headed out and had my first experience of catching a Japanese bus. It was extremely crowded when I first got on, but as people got off everyone shuffled forward. I watched what the others did, and had my correct money ready to drop in the machine when I got off.

Heian Shrine was stunning from the first moment I saw it. I could see straight away there were lots of children there, dressed in their kimonos, celebrating the Shichi-Go-San festival. People were really friendly, and one lady, who only spoke about two words of English, managed to communicate to me that the garden was something I shouldn't miss, and she was right. The further round the garden I got, the more beautiful it became. I got an old Japanese couple to take my photo at the stepping stones (which were in one of my favourite films, Lost in Translation). I was walking about in a t-shirt, and it was funny to see that the Japanese people all had their coats on!

I continued to the Miyako Messe Exhibition Hall, where the Museum of Traditional Crafts is. It was a really interesting museum, and it had a great water feature outside, which made it feel like you were sitting behind a wall of water when you were inside. The shop was great, and I bought lots of my souvenirs and presents there. Then it was time for a maiko doing a dance performance inside the museum. It was the closest I'd been to a maiko dancing, and her hands and eyes were so expressive.

I went back to the hotel and had a short nap, then met one of my Japanese friends, Kaori. The place we'd planned to eat was not open, so we wandered for a while until we found another place. The meal came as lots of individual courses, and it was great to be able to try lots of different Japanese foods (and drinks!).







No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...