29 July 2008

Walking in Glasgow



I spent the day in Glasgow yesterday. First I went to have a look at Martyr's School, which was one of the first buildings designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh. I've passed by it in the bus often, but this was the first time that I'd seen the building close up. Although it's not as spectacular as his other buildings, there are some interesting details. I may make an appointment to see inside the building sometime in the future. I was surprised to find out that Charles Rennie Mackintosh had been born very close to the site of this building, and there is a plaque commemorating this.

I had a quick look at the St Mungo Museum of Religious Life and Art, which I'd visited before, on my way to the People's Palace and Winter Gardens. In front of the People's Palace is the Doulton Fountain, the largest terracotta fountain in the world.





Near the People's Palace is the former Templeton's Carpet Factory, which is currently being converted for housing. It's a spectacular building with details in terracotta and blue mosaic tiles, and is based on the Doge's Palace in Venice.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...