15 March 2019

I love... Tony Meeuwissen's art

I first came across the work of the artist Tony Meeuwissen when I was a student, when I was given the puzzle book and playing cards for Christmas. I was vaguely aware at the time that his work had similar themes to the good luck stamp set that I was collecting as I received them on letters, but I think it was a long time before I realised they were by the same artist.
I didn't really consciously start collecting his work until last year. I came across a book of poetry called Time's Delights which was being thrown out at work, and the cover art attracted me. I was surprised and excited when I realised that it was actually by Tony Meeuwissen! He has actually designed a lot of book covers, so I'm going to start looking for them.
After that I began to seek out his work. I discovered that, as well as the good luck stamps, he also designed a set of Christmas stamps (which I vaguely remembered), and a set of stamps themed around weather. I began to buy these stamps and the postcards of them.
He also designed a book, in which you can form imaginary animals from segments of real animals. I love this style of book.
But my biggest surprise was when I discovered that he had designed the cover for The Moscow Puzzles. This book was always around my parents' house when I was growing up, I'd pored over it many times, and it had actually gone with me to my own house and lived on my bookshelves for a few decades before I realised who the cover artist was!






No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...