07 October 2016

Perth Poppies

I recently made a trip to Perth to see the "Weeping Window" of poppies at the Black Watch Museum. This consisted of thousands of ceramic poppies cascading from an upstairs window of the museum, symbolising those who died in the First World War. While it was not on such a huge scale as the display that was held in London, it was still very thought provoking and moving.
I had been to Perth last year for a choir rehearsal, for the first time in years, and it reminded me how much I love it (I used to go to church weekends there as a teenager). The Black Watch Museum was a wee bit of a walk from the city centre, but I enjoyed the walk. Even though I got there at about 10am, it was already quite busy.
Inside the museum was a video showing how the poppies are made, and a wall where you could leave a card in remembrance of someone, or write your thoughts on the exhibition. I left a card in memory of my great-great uncle George Albert Victor Roberts who was missing at the Battle of the Somme.





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...