05 August 2019

Edinburgh colour walk


I recently went on my second colour walk with In Colourful Company, this time in Edinburgh. I took so many photos that it's hard to choose favourites, so I've created some collages by colour.
We met up in Waverley Station, and I was one of the first to arrive so it was a great opportunity to meet lots of the people going on the walk before we set off. It was great fun to meet new people and some that I’d met before. 
It was one of the rainiest days I’ve ever seen, so we met up with some nervousness about the weather. But as we headed out of the station, I could see that those at the front of the pack were not putting up hoods or umbrellas – the rain had stopped just in time! 
We started off by going to the steps of the Royal Scottish Academy gallery on Princes Street. This is where the exhibition of brightly-coloured work by Bridget Riley is taking place just now, so the pillars were all decorated colourfully, making it perfect for our first photo stop. One man passing by with his camera was so excited to see us all, took lots of photos, and said that we’d made his day! 
We then headed to the Ross Fountain with the castle in the background. The fountain has in recent years been painted a turquoise colour, so again it was a great place to take photos. 
We walked through Princes St Gardens where we found that some paths had been completely flooded by giant puddles – perfect for photos of reflections! We also found some handy chairs at the Ross Bandstand so got some more group photos there. 

We headed up the News Steps and on to Victoria Street, one of my favourite Edinburgh streets. This sloping street with its brightly coloured shops has recently been credited with being the inspiration for Diagon Alley in the Harry Potter books. 

From there it was straight into the Grassmarket where there was a market going on, and to Mary’s Milk Bar. I’ve been meaning for a long time to try this ice cream shop, so this was the perfect opportunity!
The walk finished in the Grassmarket, where I went for a drink with a few friends from the walk, and we then had a good look around Armstrongs vintage shop, where I got a 60s dress in a Mary Quant style!

I've got a load of selfies that I'll share in another post soon, and I think I'll have to do a roundup of the photos other folks took, as I didn't really get any proper group photos!






No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...