25 October 2018

Little boat

One of my early creative memories is of making a little wooden boat with my grandad in his hut, so when I came across the This Little Boat project I knew I had to get involved! The project, created by Fife teacher Kathryn Brown, consists of thousands of wooden boats, all the same shape, decorated by different artists, celebrities, and members of the public.
I'd seen a few people creating boats for this project on Instagram, but wasn't sure how to get involved. When I checked the Facebook page I discovered that I just had to ask for a boat to be sent to me, so I did, and it arrived along with a postcard to add to my collection!

I initially had an idea of Mount Fuji rising above the waves, but, just as I was drifting off to sleep (thinking of what to wear the next day) the idea for the Dungaboat came to me, which is based on my much-loved Lucy and Yak dungarees, teamed with a stripey fisherman's top, with a removable polymer clay fish in the pocket. And, when I googled the word, I discovered that a dunga boat is a real type of boat!
The day after my boat arrived with Kathryn, it sailed off with the others to an exhibition in Gourock! I really hope there will be another Fife exhibition, so that I can see it with all the others!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...