14 August 2018

Recently thrifted - Postcards


I've got back into collecting postcards in a big way over the past month or two, and a lot of the ones I've bought have been secondhand, whether from antique shops, charity shops, flea markets, Ebay, or Etsy.
Collecting postcards was one of my main hobbies when I was a child, and I used to get handfuls of them whenever I visited my grandparents, because they would get their friends to save them for me. I would also buy them wherever I went on holiday or day trips. 

Although I'd still been buying a few everywhere I went over the years, I hadn't been keeping an organised collection like I did when I was young. I remember I used to spend the occasional Sunday afternoon organising my collection, and I'm getting back into doing that.

I think one of the things that got me back into postcards was listening to the Postcards from the Past podcast. I'd been following the Twitter account for ages but when I heard the enthusiasm of the guests on the podcast for their postcards I got interested again.

My favourite postcard of all time is one with a weather-house on it by a Scottish artist called Nora Paterson which I bought in a bookshop in the 1980s. I remember looking at her various designs on the display stand and choosing that one. And now I've been able to pick up some of her other designs online!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...