26 July 2018

Beauty in Brutalism

I've obviously had this blog post in mind for a couple of years, because there was a folder full of these images of Glenrothes in my blog folder. It fits in well with this month when I'm talking a lot about Glenrothes architecture.
Brutalism is a style of architecture I didn't always appreciate, but when my old high school and the swimming pool I'd gone to were being demolished I started to get interested in it and eventually to find it beautiful. I'd also seen some pictures of St Peter's Seminary in Cardross, which had bits that reminded me of elements of my old school which you can see at the top of this post and in some of the collages.
I think this style of architecture works really well in black and white, which is why I've converted most of the photos. Whether it's because the grey of the concrete works so well in black and white, or the fact that the photos look like they come from a past era, I'm not sure.


And a wee bit of colour to finish off - this block of flats was being demolished, and with all the coloured walls on display it made me think of the Unité d'Habitation by Le Corbusier!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...