23 January 2017

Hygge books


There are so many great books out at the moment about hygge, and I wanted them all! But I made myself wait until after Christmas as it was the sort of thing I thought someone might buy me - and I was right! In fact the theme of my Christmas presents in general was hygge!

I got The Little Book of Hygge by Meik Wiking for Christmas, and it is a really interesting and in-depth read on the subject, with lots of statistics on happiness. The illustrations are lovely too. The only complaint I'd have is that the text is a little small - I think that the book would have been better in a bigger size (but then the name would not have been as appropriate!).
After Christmas I ordered How to Hygge: The Secrets of Nordic Living by Signe Johansen and Hygge: The Danish Art of Happiness by Marie Tourell Soderberg. I went for books by Scandinavian sounding named authors only, as I presumed they should have the best personal knowledge of Hygge!


How to Hygge was there by the time I returned from my parents' house to my own house! It's by the same author as the Scandilicious Baking book that I love, so I was interested to read some more of her recipes and hear what she had to say about hygge. I actually think this is the best book of the three for practical ways to introduce hygge to your life, and I found it really inspiring. I liked the fact that it covered things like summer picnics as well as winters in front of the fire.


I haven't got properly started on Hygge by Marie Tourell Soderberg, but it looks like it has a lot of quotes from different people on how they experience hygge in their lives. Again the text is quite small (but maybe my eyes are just getting old!). There is a lot of white space around the text so it really could have been bigger. It looks like this book also has recipes.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...