17 May 2016

Grassmarket Vintage Weekend

At the end of last month I went to the Vintage Weekend that was held in the Grassmarket in Edinburgh.
I wasn't sure what it would be like, but it turned out to be really good. There was a variety show, a fashion show, stalls selling vintage items and doing vintage hair and make-up, lots of vintage cars, and there was also a food market and a fire engine!
The thing that struck me most was that lots of people (not just those appearing on stage) had made an effort either to wear something vintage, or at least brightly-coloured or strikingly monochrome, or had a vintage hairstyle or make-up. It made a difference from the drab outfits I often see people wearing when out doing a day's shopping in Edinburgh. It was a perfect occasion for people-watching and street photography. I wore a restyled vintage dress, secondhand tweed coat, cat's eye glasses, and winged eyeliner.

There was a real buzz about the place that reminded me of the Fringe festival. One couple (the lady is the one in the turquoise coat and yellow hat in one of the photos at the top of the post) started doing an impromptu swing dance! And I couldn't believe that the weather stayed dry and sunny! I also really enjoyed watching the fashion show, starring some of my favourite local bloggers!











No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...