01 March 2016

Artstore no more

On Saturday I took a trip to Glasgow to do a bit of shopping. I only go there every few months or so, so I feel that fate must have had a hand in me turning up on the doorstep of one of my favourite shops in the world, quite by chance, minutes before it opened for its last ever day's trading.
The entrance, with noticeboard of fun arty happenings, and window with perspex cube shelving

The Artstore was somewhere that I discovered back in the 1990s, and has been one of my favourite haunts ever since. While not the largest art shop I've ever been in, it had the most varied stock, in amazing rolling shelves all around the walls.

When I got there on Saturday I thought at first that the late opening and early closing was to do with the scaffolding around the building. So when one of the staff members who was standing outside told me it was the last day, I assumed he meant of the scaffolding! It was only when I came back 15 minutes later for the shop's midday opening, and saw other people waiting with trolley bags and suitcases, that I realised my mistake.
I asked the staff in the shop whether the opening of Cass Art across the road had put them out of business, but they said no, that in fact the owner was retiring and had decided to sell off all the stock and close the store. While I was still sad at the closure, this explanation meant that I didn't feel angry about it.
I'm so sad to see this much loved shop go, but I am glad that I was able, by chance, to be there on the last day and say a proper farewell.
So glad I kept this advertising postcard I got there years ago



My favourite bit of the shop, the individual Caran d'Ache Pablo pencils!


Got some real bargains in the closing down sale


All this for just over £5


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...